According to a Hiscox study, businesses in the United States of America lost an average of 1.13 million USD in 2016 to employee thefts, small and midsize businesses accounted for 68 percent of cases. Ghana, on the other hand, has lost 19.1 million Cedis the same way however, this demographic covers banks in Ghana only according and is according to a BoG report. For a single sector, it is over 3 times higher than the US even when using Cedi and USD valuations from 2016. One can also take note that even though there where fewer banks in 2016, factoring in companies from different industries all over Ghana which has fewer security measures of finance management, will still be a large number.
This does not mean a business owner should go on a limb, treating an employee’s every move with suspicion, that may actually add to the problem. One thing an employer can do to prevent such losses is to invest in security technology as simple as ID badges.
ID badges work like tickets in a sense. They give you access to areas based on the price paid for them. Cheaper tickers put you at the back of an event, where you need to crane your neck to observe what you paid for. Moderate priced tickets may put you in a front seat, whiles expensive tickets put you in a special room above the Masses, even in some cases incentives are made available. As that goes so do ID badges they give access based on your contribution in a work environment, thus everyone just doesn’t go where they are not supposed to be.
Benefits of ID Badges
- As with the Description they prevent, account and keep track of any security violations;
- ID badge scanners are normally placed close to doors, in some cases they can even act as keys, thus doors only open to those who have the right ID, and will refuse access to anyone with wrong credentials. Basically the doors won’t open, and in some cases, systems can be added, that will notify security personnel to said area, to investigate when it happens repeatedly and thus preventing any violators.
- In the event where thefts happen in a workplace environment from time to time, be it monetary or loss of wares, most companies may not have CCTV cameras (Offenders can simply cover their faces or turn off nearby lights) and even if fingerprint dusting worked in Ghana, it’d be inconclusive since many people may have just been working in that area. However, the ID badges and their use can be tracked, the information can then be stored and crosschecked when need be, this can narrow down the individual whose access credentials were used at the time such items where misplaced.
- Without any security measures suspicions are in the form of hearsay or idle gossip, and such sources are not very trusted worthy, however ID badge systems can easily keep record of people who tried repeatedly to access area they had no access to, such persons can then be tagged as suspicious and can further help narrow investigations if need be.
- ID Badges help improve productivity and Accountability in work;
- ID Badges can track usage, they can also act as a punch card, thus the very first time said the card is used in a day serves as an indicator to the time an employee arrived. This gives them an accountability note, pushing employees to come to work earlier or risk termination. It will also encourage them to treat workplace items with care, this is because people with access to the particular area, where said item is located are aware that, should any issues arise the blame falls on them.
- Customer and Employee Relations are improved with ID Badges;
- Customer relations are very important in any business regardless of its size. First, one must note down, “a stranger is stranger no matter where he or she is from”, and during brief exchanges between customers and employees the introductions, names exchange still remain uncommon. The ID Badge gives the customer the opportunity to socialize with employees based on topics ranging from familiarity to even Kinship.
- ID Badges help create brand Awareness;
- ID badges are worn throughout the workday the badge on display speaks volumes of a company, they become representatives of the entire company. When certain public events take place any participation or actions made by an employee, will not come off as the actions of a single individual rather, as the actions of a company.
- Seeing a particular item on a group of individuals creates an effect, it alerts onlookers, letting them know these individuals belong to a group, they follow a particular directive and come from the same place. These Badges can also help create a sense of belonging to employees, alerting them to the fact that, they are part of something and that they are not alone. ID Badges also create a classification for various positions and areas making it easy for customers and employees alike, to know who they need to go to and who they need to see, rather than a lengthy searching, asking and being turned around from place to place.