CCTV simply means Closed Circuit Television (another name for video surveillance), this means it uses video cameras to transmit a signal to a specific place, normally a limited set of monitors. In modern Ghana, CCTV cameras have become rather popular and are noticed in diverse places. From big to small supermarkets, banks and even highway traffic lights are slowly getting CCTV systems attached to them. Now, do you need one? That depends on;
• What you have.
• The importance of what you have.
• How often and effectively your item or assets can be monitored.
If you have items of importance, which may cause you problems if you lose them and you can monitor them for twenty-four hours somehow, then you don’t need a CCTV system. However, the longer your items are left without any kind of security measures as insurance, the more likely you are to lose them.
Let’s look at some benefits CCTV cameras;
- Theft and Malicious Activity Are Discouraged: A CCTV system of any kind creates a watchful eye effect (that feeling of being watched), but in this case, it’s rather a reality than a feeling. In such cases, any kind of theft is discouraged and bad behavioral practices are avoided since perpetrators know there will be repercussions. CCTV systems actually work so well that, even fake or nonfunctioning devices in many cases, can’t be differentiated from real ones, perpetrators also have no way of knowing if they work or not at that moment.
- They help in Accounting and Identify Perpetrators: An obvious perk about CCTV systems is the fact that they capture information, any items that get missing, misplaced or stolen can be located by simply reviewing footage. Also, even though robbers who may invade forcefully are likely to wear masks, other features can be used to identify them, based on the fact that perpetrators would have had to visit the area to know if they’d need to cover their faces. One may be thinking that all robbers wear a mask, this isn’t true since they are less likely to draw attention if they leave unmasked. From CCTV footage features ranging from their behavioral mannerisms, clothing choice and even the way they move can be used to identify perpetrators.
- They Improve Work Performance and Reduce Sabotage: Employees are less likely to loiter around when they know that they are being watched, they are also more likely to intentionally be seen working harder, as they’d feel it will help improve relations with employers if they are seen as hard workers in the office space. Also, cooperation’s with a very competitive work environment, it is not unheard of that workers can sabotage each other to get ahead of their colleagues. These sabotages are done against workers, at the expense of the company, in terms of time-wasting and inaccurate or wrong estimations. Employees who perform these actions can cause serious reputational and monetary damages, now they can be identified with footage and, dealt with.
- CCTV Systems Ensure Safety and Security: CCTV cameras provide a sense of security. Their presence in parking lots, homes, offices and even supermarkets are a great compliment to personal wellbeing in terms of stress. One won’t be focused on what could happen based on rumors about crime in an area, rather can focus on current tasks knowing there’s help nearby in the event of any emergency or threat.